ELVERSON, PA, April 3, 2014 — Colonel Thomas Bull, a Revolutionary War hero and prominent figure in the history of Chester County and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, will be honored with the dedication by the East Nantmeal Historical Commission of a roadside marker in East Nantmeal Township on Saturday, April 12.
Local elected officials, including State Senator John Rafferty, State Representative Tim Hennessey, Chester County Commissioners Kathi Cozzone and Ryan Costello, and the East Nantmeal Board of Supervisors, Jim Jenkins, Tyler Wren and Bill Cochrane, are expected to be on hand when the role in American history of Col. Bull and his Village of Bulltown is commemorated. Ceremonies, including remarks and the marker dedication, will begin at 11:30 am at Bulltown Road (Route 345) and Brownstone Lane, just north of Route 401.
The historical marker and the April 12 event are being underwritten by Stoltzfus Enterprises, which is emulating historic Bulltown in its nearby residential development. Stotzfus Enterprises will be hosting lunch and open house tours for ceremony attendees.
“This roadside marker recognizing Col. Bull and historic Bulltown is the first of what we hope to be several such markers in East Nantmeal, a township founded in 1723 which today has many historic resources and more than 50% of its land area permanently conserved,” said Tyler Wren, Vice Chair of the East Nantmeal Board of Supervisors. “It is important that we honor our history in ways like this, so that our citizens and future generations will better recognize and treasure our historic resources and the ‘great experiment’ that was realized in the colonization of America and the creation of our independent United States.”
Col. Bull acquired more than 500 acres of land in 1783 with the intent of developing a plantation, as well as the grist mill, saw mill and other enterprise assets that would become known as “Bulltown.” Part of a 1682 William Penn grant, the land was first owned by Owen J. Roberts and at the time of the Revolution was part of the Redding Plantation, now Reading Furnace.
During the Revolutionary War, the site became noteworthy following the “Battle of the Clouds” in September, 1777. After their ammunition and weapons had been drenched in a heavy rain, making effective defensive or offensive action impossible, Gen. George Washington and approximately 11,000 Continental troops camped in the vicinity of Bulltown to rearm over a two-day period. While Col. Bull was on a British prison ship at the time, his wife hosted Gen. Washington and his staff at the Redding Plantation, aiding the revolutionary cause.
The Bull Family Mansion House, across the road from the marker, is a significant and well-preserved historic resource. The exterior appointments, as well as the interior attributes, are fine examples of the late Georgian and Early Federal Period in American architecture, brilliantly capturing the transition between British influence and the independent American movement.